The next Start-up Scholarships are to be announced for the Summer Term 2014. Applications can be made between 15 November 2013 and 15 January 2014 (deadline).
The BGHS awards six-month start-up scholarships to international MA graduates who would like to pursue a doctoral degree in history, sociology, anthropology, or political science. Recipients receive the opportunity to prepare a convincing proposal for a dissertation project. Successful candidates may subsequently apply for a doctoral scholarship, for employment or for a doctoral degree programme at the BGHS or elsewhere.
The grant consists of a stipend of 1,200 euros per month. This amount will be supplemented by an allowance for children if applicable. Upon application, travel costs can also be covered by the Graduate School. Moreover, the BGHS will offer a study programme tailored to the particular needs of international MA graduates. Scholarship holders will participate in workshops on German academia as well as on writing a project description (more information can be found here). Frequent exchange with peer researchers, BGHS staff, and professors facilitates guidance and support during these six months. Scholarship holders will also take part in a German or English class at PunktUm.
Graduates from abroad who wish to pursue a doctoral degree in history, sociology, anthropology, or political science may apply for a start-up scholarship. We welcome applications from pre-doctoral researchers. Applicants should speak either German or English. Neither German nationals nor foreigners with a tertiary education from a German university may apply (Bildungsinländer/innen). The start-up scholarships are meant to further networking with scientists at the BGHS, therefore no prolonged archival or research trips should take place during this period. To ensure that your project fits with the BGHS profile, you should take a close look at the areas of research covered by the BGHS.
Required application documents
Please submit the following documents:
- Letter of intent with a description of your interest in a start-up scholarship at the BGHS. Please include the areas of research that interest you and one professor with whom you would like to build a relationship (400 words max.). The letter of intent should also state where you learned German or English and how long you studied the language.
- Curriculum vitae
- Summary of your MA thesis (700 words max.)
- Research proposal in the field of history, sociology, anthropology, or political science (700 words max.)
- Letter of recommendation from your supervisor/advisor at your university
- Master’s certificate or a statement from your examination office that you have successfully completed your Master’s studies. All your grades, including the grade for your Master’s thesis, must be displayed in this statement.
All application documents should be either in German or in English. Please email them as one PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Start-up Scholarships” .
The letter of recommendation can be mailed separately to the Graduate School. If you have any questions, feel free to write us at the email address above.
Please also have a look at our FAQs.